It's that time of year again... Fourth of July Weekend is here! For Martha's Vineyard, that means that summer is in full swing and the vacation season has officially kicked off. It's the first big event of the summer, and for Edgartown it's THE event. The streets are already decked out in red, white and blue as the town prepares to host the thousands of people who will be making their way into downtown Edgartown on Saturday for the annual parade and fireworks display.
Whether you've experienced this celebration once or dozens of times, it still somehow manages to provide a certain magic and charm to all who attend, and brings a whole lot of spirit to this little island. If you're planning to be there, we've got all the information you need - as well as a few tips and tricks to help you navigate the hectic, busy crowds.
Start Time: 5PM
All of downtown Edgartown will be closed to traffic starting at 4:15PM, so make sure to get there early!
- Most people get stuck parking along West Tisbury Road, so be prepared to walk the distance into town (or bring bikes along)
- If you want a prime viewing spot along Main Street, show up early and take beach chairs with you (it can get tiring having to stand for too long)
- Rather than going home in between the parade and the fireworks, stay in town. If you're bored, you could always check out some Village real estate!
Start Time: Dusk (around 8:45-9PM)
Location: On the harbor near the Lighthouse
- Assume that you aren't going to be able to park in-town, and be prepared to walk
- Bring food with you (ordering pizza or anything else to-go will include LONG wait times)
- The beach near the Lighthouse will fill up quickly, so show up early or find a more secluded spot
Avoiding the crowds?
- State Beach has a great view of the fireworks display (and is much less crowded)
- While everyone else is outside watching the fireworks, take advantage of the quiet restaurants and enjoy a late dinner! (But beware - as soon as the fireworks are over, it will be flooded with people)
- If you really want to avoid the Fourth of July crowds, stay out of Edgartown! Instead, enjoy a relaxing evening in Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven or Menemsha.
Whatever you decide to do, we hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend!