- 5534Square Feet
Majestic single family water view home plus guest house in the heart of the William Street Historic District with superb Bracketed-Italianate style, known as the Captain Benjamin Cromwell House and later the Clough House. This commanding period home with perfectly proportioned cross gable and cupola, is year-round, impeccably renovated and maintained, and in move-in condition. Amenities include 6 bedrooms, 5 baths, oil heat, a/c,1100+/- s.f. third floor loft, cupola, and cabin/guest house with studio bedroom, kitchenette, full bath,a/c, Rinnai heat, 2 car garage, outside shower, and original out house on .66 manicured grounds. As the captain of the Island Line transportation service between New Bedford, the Vineyard, and Nantucket with his steam-powered side-wheelers, the Eagle's Wing and later the Monohansett, this property was an emblem of Captain Cromwell's success and enhanced by its prominent physical setting with surrounding ornate caste iron fencing. The architecture, water views, spacious front veranda approximately 440 s.f., interior spaces with 9' and 10' ceilings, crown molding, gleaming antique wood floors, horse hair plaster, and history will captivate the attention of the most discerning buyer. The original village of Holmes Hole became the town of Vineyard Haven in 1871 and later the town of Tisbury. William Street was the second street originally laid out by the village in approximately 1831. The William Street Historic District is unique in that it has consistently maintained its look with its historic 19th century homes. Truly a rare, in-town opportunity with access to the park, deep water dock, beach, harbor, and clay tennis courts only steps away. In summary, this property needs to be seen to be fully appreciated. Please read floor descriptions for more details.
Ask A Question
- MLS Number31993
- List Price$3,000,000
- Modification Date2018-04-30T07:45:14
- Date Listed2018-04-30T07:45:14
- Other Struct DescriptionCabin/studio guest house, original out house (non functional), 2 car garage.
- Heat TypeOil\FHW
- FeaturesCentral A/C, Insulation, Irrigation, Mini-Split Heat/AC, Outdoor Shower
- Fridge TypeViking; Avallon cooler + Haier combo unit
- Dishwasher TypeKenmore; none in studio
- Dryer TypeWhirlpool; none
- Stove TypeLa Cornue 5 burner gas range; Electric kitcen combo unit in studio
- TV TypeCable
- Washer TypeWhirlpool; none
- Update TypeNONE
- Second DwellingExisting
- View Count290
- StreetWilliam Street
- Building Number108
- Location41.4566577, -70.6047695
- TownVineyard Haven
- ParkingLandscaped stone and granite parking area by garage in back yard.
- Outdoor SpacesDeck, Community Tennis Court, Beach Access - Public, Patio, Porch
- Lot Size SqFt28618
- Yard TypeCommanding, prominent site; lovely yard with specimen plantings and trees.
- Water ViewYes
- Square Feet5534
- Foundation TypeGranite and concrete
- Lead PaintUnknown
- First Floor Beds1
- Year Built1873
- Flooring Type3
- Floor 1 DescriptionEnter the Victorian arched, etched pane, double front doors to the grand front hall with a lovely winding staircase with glass ball finial newel post and diffused light from etched glass hanging ceiling fixture. From the front hall enter left to the great room/living room with beautiful crown molding, carved white marble front* with mantle and connecting French doors to the front veranda or through French doors to the sunny side porch. To the right enter the front parlor (this room is presently used as a portion of the master bedroom suite) with carved white marble front* with mantle and beautiful crown molding. Moving ahead from the foyer, through replicated double arched doors, is a roomy middle hall with crown molding and tile floor. Off the center hall, left, enter the dining room which easily accommodates large gatherings and to the right the library and master suite. The dining room includes crown molding, a carved white marble front* with mantle and alternate access from the living room via two arched passage ways with built-ins between the two rooms. Off the dining room is an updated full bath/powder room with tub. The middle hall opens to the welcoming kitchen and family area with newer granite wood-burning fireplace with wood mantle. The entire area is brightened by French doors opening to the back deck plus north facing windows. The gourmet kitchen includes a La Cornue, five burner propane range, Viking side by side fridge, soapstone sink, custom cabinets, dishwasher, breakfast bar and additional countertops. The countertops are custom made from Long Leaf Yellow Pine salvaged during restoration on the well-known tall ship the Alabama. Beyond the kitchen is a storage/mudroom/laundry room (originally a bedroom) with custom built cupboards, closets, and open shelving. The private master bedroom suite includes the library, updated bath with new marble shower, soaking tub, plus exterior access to the enclosed outside shower with his and her showerheads, and a spacious master bedroom.
- Floor 2 DescriptionWith gracious 2nd floor central hallway and wonderful bay windows with village and harbor views, one will linger longer. An optional second master suite includes bedroom, living room (or 6th bedroom), and a recently updated full bath with marble shower. Two more bedrooms are adjacent off the hallway with a shared, newly renovated full bath with marble shower plus a shared TV/office room in between. The front north bedroom has a carved white marble front* and mantle. Next to the shared bath is a corner with hot & cold water hook-up for a stack laundry unit. At the end of the hallway is a wonderful guest suite complete with wet bar and under counter beverage cooler, bedroom, sitting room, and recently updated full bath with marble shower. A door off the hallway leads to the third floor stairwell.
- Floor 3 DescriptionInspirational and airy, this fully renovated loft with 1,100+/- s.f. of space and 14' peaks offers superb water views of the Vineyard Haven Harbor and beyond. Possibilities come to mind: dance, music, yoga, artist's or writer's studio, home office, or play room. No other residence in town affords private studio space of this magnitude and with mesmerizing views. Gleaming wood floors, beautiful arched windows, breathtaking and captivating, seldom seen views of the village rooftops and harbor. This is a true get-away that allows the imagination to soar. From the third level a stairway leads to the cupola - the crowning glory of this 1873 historic gem. With supreme water views of the harbor, rooftops, Cape Cod and beyond - north, south, east, and west. Enjoy sunrise, sunset, magnificent starry nights, moon gazing, and fireworks displays from one's very own perch.
- Basement DescriptionExterior access to full basement with utilities, storage, oil tank.